Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Turkey Pot Pie

Chicken pot pie was not always my favorite meal. I didn't like the meat they put into those ones you buy pre-made at the store and often just ate the filling.
 Everything tastes better homemade, including this dish. I am going to be honest, I was nervous to make one.
Not only was it my first time trying this recipe, or anything like it, but I was making it for my husbands parents.
I am happy to report that this recipe was simple and tasted like it took all day to make. It is the perfect comfort food for this chilly weather! 
 This recipe was so tasty that I made it again using left over Christmas ham and chicken.
This serves 4 if you are being polite but Rob and I could easily finish one off on our own. Try it, I know you will love it!


Chicken Pot Pie:
Recipe from: Unknown


2 celery stalks
2 medium carrots, peeled
1/2 medium yellow onion
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup mushrooms, halved or quartered
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed
1 cup heavy cream
1-2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
1 pie crust, 9'' (I used the refrigerated prepackaged ones)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Finely dice the vegetables. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add veggies and saute until the veggies start to turn translucent. About 10 minutes. Add the chicken and stir to combine. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the veggies and chicken, stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes, stirring gently. Pour in the chicken broth. Stir in the crushed bouillon cube. The flour will combine with the chicken broth to create the gravy. Pour in the cream and stir gently. Allow mixture to cook, over low heat, thickening gradually, about 5 minutes. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Pour chicken mixture into a deep pie pan. Roll out the crust and place it on top of chicken mixture, making sure to cut small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Press the crust gently into the sides of the dish to seal. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment