Friday, February 4, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I'm afraid to say that these cookies didn't last 48 hours in my house. My kids, whom normally dislike raisins, ate these without issue. I had never come across a recipe where you pre-soak the raisins before and it really truly is what makes these cookies! I changed the recipe a bit by adding a dash of allspice and cloves as well as doubling the cinnamon. It was the perfect spice combo and not overwhelming to the taste at all. The raisins were plump and juicy and tasted of vanilla. These cookies were slightly crisp at the edges and still soft and wonderfully chewy in the center. Even now I am trying to convince myself not to get up off the couch and make another batch. I justified my eating one after another, after another, by the fact that they contain oatmeal and raisins. And those are healthy right? This recipe will take it's place as our favorite oatmeal cookie recipe and will definitely be made again soon. A couple of these cookies and a tall glass of milk...yum!


Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
original recipe here

3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
dash ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups quick cooking oats

Do not skip this first step!!! It is worth the extra time! In a small bowl combine the eggs, raisins and vanilla. Stir to coat well and set aside for 1 hour.

Cream together the butter and sugars. Add flour, salt, spices, baking soda, baking powder and mix well. Blend in the egg and raisin mixture. Stir in oatmeal. This batter is very stiff but these cookies are soft and moist, I promise. Drop by teaspoon on baking sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, or lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment