Friday, January 21, 2011

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

These have been my go to enchilada recipe for several years now. Although I cannot recall exactly where I found these, nor do I have the original recipe on hand, I have made them often enough to give you a good idea of what goes in them. Of course spices can be adjusted according to your taste preference and you could use pepperjack cheese for a little kick instead of cheddar. I think I will try that myself one day, but for now, don't fix what isn't broken right? Also, I used canned enchilada sauce but you are of course welcome to make your own at home.

The most time consuming part of these is making the filling. And even that doesn't take too long. Once that is finished you can have these in the oven in five minutes. Pair these up with some mexican rice and black beans and you have a very filling meal that will feed many adults. When I make this Robbie and I easily get 3-4 meals out of it.

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas:

8 oz cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sour cream
2/3 cup salsa
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
Tortillas
Enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 9x13 baking dish (I usually need 2).

In a large mixing bowl cream the cream cheese until smooth. Add sour cream and mix well. Stir in  2 cups of the cheddar cheese, salsa, green onions and corn.

In another bowl toss diced cooked chicken pieces with cummin, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add to cream cheese mixture and stir until well combined.

Place tbsp of enchilada sauce onto tortilla and spread leaving 1/2 inch border around the edges. Top with 1/4 cup of filling. Roll and place into prepared baking dish. When all enchiladas are formed (I usually get 10-12) cover them with remaining enchilada sauce. Bake for 20 minutes. Add remaining cheddar cheese and cook another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment