Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing

I love gingerbread. Well, I guess I should say I love the idea of gingerbread because most gingerbread items are way too spiced for my tastes. I always cut down the amount of spice I add. My kids also enjoy the more milder versions.
When I pulled these from the oven I didn't wait for them to cool completely before having a taste. I was excited for the combination of lemon with the gingerbread. I cannot remember where I found this recipe but if you like gingerbread you should give it a try!

Gingerbread Cupcakes:

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
3/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
2 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiling water


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together the flour, spices and salt. In medium bowl cream the butter. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg and beat until smooth. Dissolve the baking soda into the boiling water. Add baking soda mix into the batter. It will look curdled and strange but it is OK! Mix the wet ingredients into the dry mix. Stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing:

2 - 8 oz bars cream cheese
2 sticks butter
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until well combined and smooth. Add lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Mix well. Put in fridge for 20 minutes if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment